Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cupcake Royale


A crisp cold October day, a ballerina topped-pink cupcake, a warm, aromatic, heart- swirled latte, a bright window seat, and my gorgeous date sitting across the tiny round table from me.

My introduction to Capital Hill’s Cupcake Royale had come months before, on a warm summer night at the Wild Rose Bar, when a couple of young, tattooed gals hand-delivered a dozen to us late night patrons. I became hooked on their cupcakes from that moment forward, making it my mission to sample each and every flavor, my favorite being the lavender or lemon, depending on my mood. Three months later, I discovered that the perfect accompaniment to a Cupcake Royale cupcake was not a martini as previously thought, but a frothy, Stumptown grande latte, a perfect juxtaposition to the spongy sweet cupcake I devoured along with it. Not bad for warming chilled hands, either.

All at once kitch, modern, and welcoming, Cupcake Royale is a fine establishment for discerning coffee drinkers, solo computer devotees, socializing friends, and starry eyed new lovers. Overall rating: 4 out of 5 beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment