Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sureshot



Pinball machines, computers, wifi, and coffee, oh my! What an interesting combination of things to lure local college students to drop a few dollars. Despite the great location on University Avenue, Yelp reviewers don't have nice things to say about the supposedly rude service or blaring, metal music. I think we must have hit it on a good day.

It was only 11am, Thai Toms wasn't yet open, and I was starving for something other than a muffin to tide me over to lunch. So we wandered around and stumbled upon Sureshot's steamy windows and a chalkboard sign, which read, "Chili". Mmm, a cup of chili would be the perfect thing to tide me over until lunch on this dreary winter morning. I ordered my chili minus the usual cheese and onions because I've been battling some kind of ulcer, and my doctor told me not to eat dairy to see if it's aggravating my condition. Of course, she probably wouldn't recommend eating spicy chili and a soy latte, but she wasn't there, so I ordered them with a guilty look on my face because Noel knew my doctor would scold me if she knew. I also scored a delicious-looking vegan, coconut-encrusted, blueberry muffin - for Noel, or so I told myself. I'm not a muffin person, but I am a coconut person, and I was pretty hungry, and I knew Noel would eat it despite her protestations that she really wasn't hungry.

So, to my fellow reviewers on Yelp, I must say, we loved Sureshot. The service was fine, the music enjoyable and maintained at a low volume, the food was delicious, the coffee, fine (nothing like soy milk to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee, right?), and the muffin, delectable and moist. That's a lot coming from someone who doesn't eat muffins. I do enjoy a good apple fritter and the occasional donut, though.

The best part about our visit to Sureshot were the antics of a customer's crazy-eyed dog, who looked just like the famous Blue Dog painted by George Rodrigue. He stood patiently in front of the counter for what seemed like forever, then finally losing patience with the customers who were continually served before him, he finally climbed up on the counter, as if shouting, "Hey, stop treating me like a dog and give me some service!"

Thoroughly full, satisfied and entertained, we pulled ourselves up from the cozy, brown leather love seat and continued onto Buffalo Exchange where Noel suffered through twenty minutes of me shopping for used shoes and clothing. But baby, that's what you get for dating a femme.

No comments:

Post a Comment